This is an informal (and non-sponsored) comparison and review of Target's Chunky Pullover Sweater (by Merona) vs. Loft's Zipside Tunic (by Lou & Grey).
I've been looking for a sweater that meets the following criteria:
1) It must be long enough to cover my bum (or at least some of it).
2) It must be able to be worn both by itself and layered over a shirt.
3) it would be the kind of sweater I would just want to thrown on with a pair of jeans for running errands or getting coffee with a friend, and
4) it would be the kind of sweater I can wear with my exact stretch pants for teaching.
The Loft sweater (left) has more stretch and so it ends up fitting me better overall. (I ordered a XS for reference.) The Target sweater (right) makes me feel like my movement is slightly restricted in the shoulder and armpit area. (I got a M for reference.) But, the sleeves of the Target sweater seem slightly longer. (I'm 5'7".) When I tried the Loft sweater in store, I could have sworn the sleeves were longer, so I wonder if I can stretch out the sleeves. Ultimately not a big deal though, as I generally push my sleeves up.
The Loft sweater (left) definitely allows for more bum coverage than the Target sweater (right). However, as seen in the first collage, the Target sweater extends below the button of my jeans, so it's still a win. The Loft sweater has (functional) zippers on both sides.
Both sweaters layer to my liking. The shirt I used as an example is a baggier popover, so I would assume that both sweaters would work with any kind of shirt underneath.
- The Loft sweater is hand-wash only. (I didn't even bother to check the status of the Target sweater since it's the kind of thing I'd throw in a cold cycle without thinking twice.)
- The Loft sweater is speckled black, white, and grey, while the Target sweater is a solid grey.
- The Loft sweater is ultimately lighter and stretchier, but it's also more delicate. I've already found three threads coming undone.
- The Loft sweater was originally $60, I bought it on a 50% off promotion. The Target sweater was originally $25.