Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Budget Rewind: November 2014


Good: 
  • Lou & Grey tunic sweater: $30 (similar) - Such a great purchase. While it only appears on the blog here and there, it's perfect for those days when I'm not teaching, but still out and about. Plus it's long enough to cover my bum, so I can wear it with leggings. I felt like I spent too much on it when I first bought it, but it's purchases like these that should remind me that it's okay to spend.
  • Simply Vera leggings: c/o Mom (exact) - Even if these weren't a gift, they would still have been a great purchase. I highly recommend them if you're in need of a pair
  • SO moccasins: c/o Mom (exact) - I think these are technically slippers, but I wear them out and about, too. I almost bought another pair on Black Friday just to have an extra for when these get worn out. 
  • SO tunic sweater: c/o Mom (similar) - I went through a tunic sweater phase (I ended up getting this same style in white in December) but they're honestly my favorite thing to wear in the winter months. I was hoping they'd have this style again on Black Friday, but no luck.
  • Gap Outlet coat: $65 (similar) - I used to have a problem where all my winter coats were fancy except for my fleece. I needed something heavier than a fleece but more casual, and this was the perfect solution. I had a hard time coming to terms with spending so much, but it gets plenty of wear and is functional. Keep that in mind, future Kate.
  • LOFT jeans: $40 (non-distressed version) - I originally bought these in the Modern cut and felt like something was off. So I tried them in the curvy line and life would never be the same. The straight leg is kind of weird, so I end up rolling them up every time I wear them. Again, another purchase I splurged on but that has paid off.
  • Target scarf: $15 (exact) - The only reason this is a good purchase as opposed to a medium is because of its functionality. I don't actually like feeling consumed by my scarves. I know, I'm weird.
Medium:
  • Orchid sweatshirt: $9 (option) - I loved this sweatshirt... at the beginning. I only wanted to wear it with black pants, and so I got bored with it really quickly. I was able to sell it to a local consignment shop, so I ended up with minimal loss. Moral of the story? I'm a sucker for baseball style tops, and need to practice great restraint to not buy every one I see.

Overall, I spent more than I would have liked, but considering that I walked away with almost all good purchases, I'm okay with it. I'm starting to think that I should focus less on the final total and more with the individual items, how much I love, and how much wear they will get. Future Kate, it's okay to spend if it's on something you're going to wear a lot. You won't regret it. I promise.

6 comments:

  1. Pretty good month! I remember really loving that orchid sweater, but I can see how it would get boring to wear over and over again. How do those slippers hold up? I've had the similar pairs from Target for the past couple years, and they tend to get pretty worn out and no longer cushy/comfy after about a year. I hate to buy a new pair every year, but when they are only like $10 and I wear them around the house every single day, it's not too terrible. I wonder if a different brand would be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you were able to sell the sweatshirt

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a hard lesson to learn! It's good that you're figuring this out though. You still don't pay very much at all for most of your clothes. Quality and practicality is much more important I'm learning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of focusing on the individual items instead of the total. It helps you think about quality over quantity more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I've had that struggle with winter coats before--having only dressy coats or a fleece to choose from! Fortunately, I'm able to avoid the issue most of the time around here since it's rarely THAT cold. I like the one you ended up getting--definitely money well spent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great month for you! I love tunic sweaters as well - I like that I can get away with wearing them to work with leggings and boots and still look like I tried, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...