Friday, October 30, 2015

Budget Rewind: October 2014


Here's what I said about these purchases in 2014:

The grey tee was on my wishlist, as was the floral skirt, so hooray for that. The hat was an impulse purchase, but I've already worn it twice, so it's not the worst purchase I've ever made. The slip on sneakers were also somewhat impulsive, but they are the perfect weekend shoe. (I haven't documented those outfits but you're not missing much. It's just bootcut jeans, a "stylish" hoodie or sweatshirt, and the sneakers.)


Good
  • grey tee (almost identical): $6.50 - A grey tee was on my wishlist, and while it doesn't show up on the blog frequently, I've already worn it enough times to justify the cost. 

Medium:
  • baseball cap (almost identical): $5 - I'm really just not a hat person. But, it's good to know that if/when I want/need a hat, I have one. 

Bad
  • floral skirt (save, splurge): $13.50 - While a floral skirt was on my wishlist, I should have been more specific and more discerning. This skirt is too short and feels too juvenile. I'll probably wear it one more time before taking it off to consignment. 
  • leopard sneakers (save, splurge): $19 - I have a hard time believing that I really thought these were "the perfect weekend shoe". I know I said that a year ago, but did I really mean it? Because I would not call them perfect. Even though I've managed to wear them a bunch (especially off the blog), I'm more inclined to think that I was wearing them to justify them. 

All in all, when I look at the collage, I don't get excited for any of the pieces. In the past year, I've started scrutinizing my Target purchases more than any of my other purchases. Recently I was thinking about my favorite purchases from my favorite stores, and I realized that none of my favorites come from Target. Since coming to this realization, I resisted buying a bunch of things that I'm now happy I didn't buy.

Moral of the story? Building a closet full of pieces that bring joy does not come in the form of impulse purchases. Neither do trendy pieces (but I already covered that in the September '14 budget rewind).

1 comment:

  1. The shirt and cap are perfect and versatile! The skirt is cute but I know what you mean, I don't like when they're too short....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...