Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Happiness is: my new striped tank

At some point in college, I developed my first shopping philosophy. It went something like this: spend no more than $10 on a tank or tee, $15 on a skirt, $20 on a top, $25 on a sweater, $30 on pants. It worked for a while, although I ended with a lot of $15 tops from Forever 21. Most of those are in sitting in a ThredUp bag today, waiting to be sent off. 

While I've done away with that philosophy, I still find myself shuddering at the thought of spending $25 on a top (and then do it anyway). Last month, I ordered a few tops from LOFT. I thought the graphic tee would my favorite of the haul, but it was actually this striped tank. I've worn it three times in the past two weeks. I have honestly found myself trying to calculate whether enough time has passed so that I can wear it again. (It's been exactly a week... that's enough time, right?)

$22 is a ridiculous amount to spend for a tank top. But $22 also feels like nothing when we're talking about the happiness that I feel when I wear this tank. Moral of the story? Forget the price tag, focus on the feeling. And feel that way about everything you buy.




Striped Tank: LOFT | exact
Cardigan (c/o Mom): LOFT | option
Jeans: The Limited | option
Espadrilles: via Target | exact


12 comments:

  1. That was a pretty impressive budget to stick with! But I agree, if you love something, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A simple, comfy, and cute outfit- I like it! And I'm totally with you. I've definitely been spending a little more on pieces that I love and that make me really happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like your philosophy was trying to simplify the cost per wear idea, like pants will probably be more frequently worn than a tank top, so you can spend more, etc. But that doesn't always work when you end up buying a bunch of tops that you feel kind of blah about. Better to buy a $22 tank top that you will wear and love! I was tempted by this top when I was in Loft the other day, but decided I should buy the elephant tee shirt instead. For now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. spending 22 dollars on a tank you know you are going to wear a lot isn't a bag thing at all.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great way to look at purchases. I feel like with knit items like tees and tanks, if I want them to last more than a year, I need to spend a little more on them--which is why I still haven't found a white or grey tee. This striped tank is amazing. I can see why you like it. I do the same thing with calculating when it's been long enough before wearing something again! It'll go with any bottoms, outerwear, or colors which I'm sure will help you get a ton of use from it. A good $22 well spent indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. $22 when you look at the cost per wear (which sounds like is already declining rapidly) is not that much at all! Super cute tank - I may have to go pick this one up myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And just think...you're probably actually saving money if you only buy a piece you really feel good about! I don't even want to think about the times I've bought something just because I felt like I was getting a good bargain, not because I really loved it...ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I think you're well on your way to getting the cost per wear of this tank down to nothing! You're so right--sometimes it's best just to buy what you love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I have a hard time spending more than a certain price on an item. If I have been looking for something for a while and it's exactly right, or it looks and makes me feel amazing it is much easier! That tank is adorable on you, definitely worth the price!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do have some price point in my head on certain amount I would spend but it's base on quality / materials too. This is a great tank on you!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMEN. And it's stripes, which go with everything. Therefore, the top essentially paid $22 for itself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This tank is one of the best things you've bought in a long time - it has so much mix and match potential! That's what I love about neutral stripes like this...they can be worn so many ways! I used to have a weird shopping philosophy about how much I would allow myself to spend on certain articles of clothing (actually, it looked almost identical to yours!), but now, I try to just spend money (not an exorbitant amount) on things I love and try not to get hung up on the actual dollars. I'm comfortable spending a little bit more on something I absolutely love and that I know will get tons of wear.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...