Monday, March 30, 2015

Make it Work: lavender cardigan

On Wednesday I managed to wear two neglected items by pairing them together. Today I'm showing you how I made another neglected item work - my lavender cardigan. How did I do that? By keeping it simple. I was really surprised looking back to find out I've never worn this cardigan with solid black pants. I was also pleasantly surprised by how great I felt all day in this outfit. (Note to self: keep it simple more often! Instant confidence with minimal effort.)

It's a funny thing how items can get neglected for so long. I remember loving this cardigan so much that I splurged on it, and yet, end up only reaching for it once a year. But then as soon as I put it back on, I love it again. I mean, just look at this color! So pretty and so perfect for spring! 



Cardigan: J. Crew | almost exact
Lace top: The Limited | similar
Necklace: via Groopdealz | same style
Exact Stretch Pants: The Limited | exact
Flats: Christian Siriano via Payless | option


Side note: I accidentally put this cardigan in the dryer. It came out almost half the size, but I was able to almost fully restore it with water and hair conditioner. One bucket of water + one big squeeze of hair conditioner = one almost original sized cardigan. I could have (should have?) stretched it out more while I laid it out to dry (which I did by laying a towel flat in the bathtub, and laying the cardigan on the towel). At least it's good to have this in mind just in case I accidentally shrink another merino sweater or cardigan down the road.


[linking up with Molly and Laura]

14 comments:

  1. While I personally pass on lavender, it looks amazing on you. And those shoes are too cute with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lavender really does look pretty on you. So it's a good thing you were able to restore it to the right size! I will have to remember that tip the next time I shrink one of my sweaters (since I know it's inevitable).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know that un-shrinking trick! I should remember that in the future. Or maybe I should just try it with my lavender cardigan because it's a little snug in the arms! And I'm definitely pinning this outfit to copy sometime. It's simple, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is cardigan is such a pretty color! I'm guilty of wearing purple with only black or grey so I probably would have worn it this same way. Actually this got me thinking, and I totally have! http://thisevolvinglife.blogspot.com/2014/05/lavender-and-lace.html haha I'm glad you were able to save the sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks lovely with the lace and leopard! And thanks for the tip about shrinking items! I am always accidentally drying things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait that works?! I'm totally going to try it. And this should not be a neglected item - it's so pretty on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great tip--I'm constantly shrinking sweaters in the dryer. I'll try that next time. So you just let it soak and then rinse and stretch? I'm glad you saved that cardigan because it's beautiful and a great color for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the color of that cardigan! So pretty. I'm a big fan of all things purple. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. This shade of lavender is SO pretty! It looks great on you. I did not know the unshrinking tip- thanks for sharing.

    xo Always, Abby

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing the un-shrinking tip.

    www.amysfashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore that cardigan, such a pretty lilac shade. Next time I am in the states I will stock up on some long BF cardigans. What are some nice, inexpensive brands for long cardis that you suggest. And that tip blows my mind - good to know.

    On a side note, did you get a chance to see my e-mail? Let me know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cardigan is so pretty! I don't own anything lavender because I prefer it's deep purple sister. It looks positively perfect with a lace tank and black pants. Are those new shoes? I like them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I REALLY love this outfit on you, Kate! You look so beautiful in this shade of purple, and I like the "keep it simple" kinds of outfits :) Much less stressful, right? I need to start pulling out some of my more neglected pieces as well and either wear them or pitch them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this cardigan is lovely, kate, so yay for rediscovering it and giving it a try! and i am so fascinated by your process of reshaping the cardigan by using water and conditioner. i have never heard of that trick before!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...