Thursday, January 29, 2015

January Budget






1. Old Navy dress: originally $35, on clearance $10.50
2. Old Navy turtleneck: originally $16.50, on clearance $5
3. Target flats: originally $20, on clearance $5
4. J. Crew Factory sweater: originally $50, on clearance $14
5. J. Crew Factory bracelet: originally $30, on clearance $5.50

= $40

Not bad, especially considering two of these items (#1 & #4 were on my wishlist). I patiently waited for the grey dress to go on clearance, but by the time it did, it was too close to Christmas and I felt guilty buying anything for myself. It wasn't until I saw it on Heidi that I decided to stalk it again. It took a few days, but I managed to nab one in my size. The turtleneck seemed like a great layering piece, and helped me qualify for free shipping. I had almost bought the flats when they were $12. I realized I only have one pair of pointed toe flats in my closet (and those are leopard print), so these additionally serve as a variety piece. A navy sweater has been on my list for over a year now, so when J. Crew Factory had a flash sale on their clearance, I nabbed it without thinking twice. The bracelet was another impulse jewelry buy. I've really got to get that under control this year. But it's so cute! 

While I'm happy with these purchases, it doesn't really stop there. I'm currently mulling over two pairs of flats from Payless (these and these). Together, both pairs cost me $30 which I can handle. I like the grey ones, but I'm on the fence about the blue ones. Are they too juvenille? Too loud? Could you see me wearing them?

As for what didn't work... This cardigan from Forever 21 that was too small. As was this sweater. I'm half tempted to order it again in the next size up, but I'll have to wait until the next round of free shipping. I asked you what you thought about this poncho, but I decided against it. While I could make it work, $20 is a lot to pay to make something work. And why would I keep something I'm on the fence about? I doubt I'll regret the decision, and suspect I'll be able to find another white poncho down the line if I change my mind. I had also ordered this shirt from JCF (to qualify for free shipping) but didn't love the pre-wrinkled pre-crinkled-ness to it. It was a great deal, but I just didn't love it.

How did you do this month? After putting this post together, I realized I missed posting December's budget and doing a 2014 budget rewind. I'll try to get that together soon, so stay tuned!


[linking up with Fran for Budgeting Bloggers]

15 comments:

  1. You did awesome this month. I end up going over my budget by a few dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want that dress and those flats that you got! And I'd say no to the blue payless flats. When I opened the link to them, I thought CUTE! but then I tried to imagine them and how you'd wear them and I just couldn't quite figure out when they would complete an outfit. I think you'd be better off with non-studded cobalt flats. And as you said about the poncho: "And why would I keep something I'm on the fence about?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Target just has the best flats. Great deals this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you found such great deals! I shouldn't be surprised--you always do!
    Obviously, I heartily approve of the gray smoking flats purchase since I own the exact same pair :) As for the cobalt ones, they're cute, but I would have a hard time styling them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, classic pieces! I have been wanting that dress, but couldn't bring myself to get it when I have a couple similar dresses! I wish I would have gotten that turtleneck too. I ask myself the same question about items an feel iffy about. If I feel that way they should probably go back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to see the dress and the turtleneck together. You did great on your budget. Both of your factory finds are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sweater is perfection. You snagged amazing deals this month. Seriously. As for the flats you're currently mulling over, I haven't had any luck with Payless shoes in terms of quality. Based on looks alone though, the blue are a bit juvenile in my opinion with all the sparkles. The grey ones however, are darling and I'm sure they would get a lot of wear. I agree with Meghan, I bet that the turtleneck would look great layered under the grey dress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You found some great things and got some great deals!! Everything you got is super cute and I can't wait to see how you style them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay for snagging that old navy dress, i can't wait to see you wear it (sorry if you already have, i am way behind on my blog reading). and i usually am not a fan of the way loafers look, but i like that pair from payless with the bow on 'em. i'd definitely get them now since there's a BOGO running and you can always stack a % code on top of that so i'm sure it would come out to be a good deal! i have my eye on these boots so now i may have to take my own advice and find another pair to do a bogo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not bad at all! I spent more and I feel a little guilty... sales are just too much of a temptation!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh I really like what you got this month! I've had a navy sweater on my wishlist for over a year too, and haven't gotten one. You'll have to let me know how you like this one. I LOVE the grey payless flats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh I really like what you got this month! I've had a navy sweater on my wishlist for over a year too, and haven't gotten one. You'll have to let me know how you like this one. I LOVE the grey payless flats.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see you got the coveted gray dress you wanted and it is a gorgeous one. Also, I cannot get over the 70-80% savings you got on each one of these items. Every piece here is classy, versatile, chic and totally on trend, too. Great for the modern every day woman. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. yay! we got the same dress! I saw it $14 and I couldn't pass it up. I haven't worn it yet (not very nursing friendly) but I can't wait to. And I laughed when you wrote about waiting for free shipping - I can't order from anywhere unless they have free shipping! I have been eying a few things at LOFT recently, but I can't pull the trigger because you have to spend like over $100 to get it shipped free!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, the gray smoking flats are ridiculously cute. Give them a try! I'd pass on the cobalt flats - the sparkles/studs are a little juvenile for my taste, I think.

    And I'm so glad you got that dress! It's very similar to the gray dress I got a few months ago, and I can't get enough of it! I am really happy you got that striped turtleneck as well. I just started wearing my black turtleneck again and I love how cozy and warm it is! I'm going to try wearing it underneath my gray fleece dress this week - we'll see how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...