Friday, November 21, 2014

what to wear: black friday shopping



You won't find me standing in line for a flat screen TV on Black Friday Eve. You won't find me bumping elbows with women in the mall, fighting over a sweater or a pair of boots. You may however find me rifling through the bargain bins at Wal-Mart hunting for my favorite DVDs on Black Friday morning. There are few things better than going home with a handful of DVDs for less than $10. It's my thing.

It's also my thing to be prepared for any situation, and that includes dressing for the occasion. This holiday season, Misty from Balancing a Hectic World and I are teaming up for a four post series featuring different looks for different holiday events.



We're kicking off the series with our Black Friday looks. Be sure to stop by Misty's blog, and check out what she's wearing for Black Friday!

I get that not everyone shops on Black Friday. This year, my husband and I will be spending the day with his parents. If you're spending the day with family, you might want to opt for something slightly nicer. If that's the case, here's what I'd wear:


Jacket: Gianni Bini via Dillard's | similar, love this option
Top: The Limited | last worn
Pants(old, c/o Mom) Daisy Fuentes via Kohl's
Heels: Apt. 9 via Kohl's | option

But for those of you who are planning on bumping elbows with others and hunting for the best deals, I'd opt for something slightly more relaxed.



Sweater: Old Navy | option
Vest: Old Navy | nearly identical
Pashmina (gift) | very similar
Jeans: LOFT | exact
Sneakers: via Target | exact

How to dress for Black Friday shopping:
- Wear something bright. Inevitably you will get separated from your group. Make it easy to find one another without having to resort to using your phones.
- Comfy shoes! If you're planning on trying on shoes, skip anything with zips and laces and just go for slip ons. (Obviously I recommend these slip on sneakers.)
- Manueverability is key. No need for a giant purse today. On days like this, I prefer a wristlet like this.
- Leave your coat in your car. With all the extra bodies in the stores, you won't get cold. A quilted vest can provide extra warmth just in case you're worried.


What will you be wearing on Black Friday? Are you spending time with family or will you be shopping? Or both?! 

6 comments:

  1. Every year I say I won't go out on Black Friday, and every year I end up somewhere. My sister works at the Gap, so I'll probably end up at the mall to have lunch with her, and then just look around a little bit. They usually have the whole store 50% off, so I like to snag a few of the full-price items that I'd never buy at full-price. I definitely agree with your casual outfit! Slip on shoes, small purse, no coat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I typically don't go shopping or if I do it's at night so there aren't many crowds. Who knows though. We shall see! I do online shopping on Black Friday, but that's in my pjs so I am sure I won't be doing any outfit posts on that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute post! I love your tips, especially the one about wearing something bright so that you can always spot your group and your group can spot you! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love that gray striped jacket on you! It looks great with the pointy pumps and tailored pants.
    I'll be going more casual for Black Friday and *might* try to face the crowds since the hotel where we'll be staying is adjacent to a pretty awesome mall. At least I'll avoid the whole parking situation!
    Looking forward to seeing your looks for the rest of this series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are all great tips. The striped gray jacket and classy pumps are beautiful. Looking forward to your collaborations with Misty. Great tips on black Friday shopping also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great tips! I've noticed that most stores offer the same deals online as in store and since my family is far away, it's much easier to order the gifts online and ship them straight to my parent's house. Target has a few door busters on thurs night that i doubt will be online. Although it's cold, I'm debating just walking because i know the parking lot will be packed! But the latter outfit is definitely the route i would go for dressing haha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...