Tuesday, November 25, 2014

welcome back, fall

I've been hunting for the perfect military jacket for well over a year now. After ordering this one from Old Navy and being sorely disappointed with how short it was on me, I began to rethink the need for a military jacket. I live in a climate where you can wear a light jacket maybe two weeks out of the year. Otherwise, it's no jacket or a warm one. Then of course a few days after this thought, I'm at the outlet mall, and I stumble across an olive green coat. It was like a military jacket and warmness got together and made a baby. Just for me.

I bought it a few weeks ago and have been debating whether to keep or not since. Pro: it's warm. Con: it was $60. Pro: it has a hood. Con: it was $60. Pro: I don't have a casual cold weather jacket. Con: it was $60. (For $60, I could get these booties I've had my eye on. Or half of this pair. Or this bucket bag. *cough*someone get me a bucket bag for Christmas?*cough*)

I figured if I wear it four times a week for the next four months, I'll get the cost-per-wear down to a dollar. That's gotta count for something, right? How do you make decisions about functional clothing pieces?

[I'm also regularly late to every appointment and scheduled event, so it should be no surprise that I'm linking up with Bri for Third Thursday Threads: Fall Footwear almost a week late. Better late than never!]





Coat: Gap Outlet | option
Sweater: Lou & Grey via LOFT | exact
Scarf: Merona via Target | exact
Leggings (c/o Mom): via Kohl's | exact
Boots (gift): Madden Girl | option - under $30!



{Linking up with LauraLauren, Shanna, Liz, and Lindsey}

10 comments:

  1. When a piece is expensive, if I like every single aspect about it and can't think of anything wrong with it besides the price then I buy it. Then I know it will be a staple for a long time. I was also thinking, January is a really good time to buy booties if you can hold out that long. Shoes stores slowly start to turn over inventory then. Maybe you could find a pair you like on sale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! Plus I think it'll be something you wear for years. I love mine so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar experience with my military jacket. I bought one last winter from Old Navy that was really too big, but they didn't have a size down. I bought it anyway and never wore it, as it just made me look big. Fortunately, I won a giveaway a few months ago, so I was able to sell the old one and get a new one that fit (for free!). I think it's definitely a versatile piece for anyone's closet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wished I had based my purchases on cost per wear than impulse, since it would mean I would stop shopping. I typical tend to be more willing to spend more on clothes that are not trendy.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, first of all i LOVE that jacket and i love it on you, and i think you have definitely justified its place in your closet, especially since you haven't just settled for any other similar jacket. but i also know what you mean about being unsure of how often you'll wear it. i went through that same back and forth when i bought one of those lightweight quilted vests... i just didn't know if i'd get enough wear out of it where i live. you seem to be really practical about your purchases and make sure you wear them so i am sure you will get a lot of wear out of this jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great look, I need a nice tartan scarf :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one that I wear all the time! With the warmness factor added to yours I think it's a great purchase. Although I totally enjoyed your thought process haha

    Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

    Brooke
    www.pumpsandpushups.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That jacket is perfect! ! If it's warm then it'll be good to layer under if the weather gets really cold. I found mine thrifted but it's too short to wear with pants (the main reason i bought it). Yours is the perfect length. Great buy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your coat is super cute. I say if you don't own a causal coat you should keep this one. Olive green goes with so many things

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really think that jacket is super cute and very practical, Kate. I like that it is a little heavier so that you can wear it as true outerwear instead of as an essential part of your outfit. My military jacket gets treated much more like a blazer or cardigan than it does actual outerwear. But I really do love it and it looks wonderful on you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...