Saturday, November 1, 2014

mental health day

I believe that people deserve personal days, and from time to time, need to take them. Just a day that we get to spend away from whatever is bogging us down at the time. For me, that is my research and my project. This summer, I had hoped that I would be able to take my comprehensive exams before Thanksgiving. There is no way that will be possible. I am starting to doubt that I will even be ready before the new year. *sigh*

All this really weighs on a person, and I think that it's times like these when it truly is in a person's best interest to take a day to get away from it all. It's all going to be there waiting for you when you get back. Might as well also enjoy that day.

So for my day off, I went to the outdoor mall, but got bored really quickly. I got an overly greasy burger, went to Toys R Us, and spent more time than I may have ever before at DSW. A week ago, I was almost ready to buy these booties, but now I'm on the fence because of the material. They look like they're going to look really worn out after a few wears. Oh well. Boredom, bad burgers, and booties for a few hours was just what the doctor called for.

Do you ever take a mental health day? What do you do to get away from it all?



Cap: J. Crew Factory | exact
Scarf: Forever 21 | exact
Sweater: Zara | similar
Vest: Old Navy | exact
Joggers: Forever 21 | exact
Sneakers: Target | exact


[day 19 of the 21 day buffet: black joggers]

9 comments:

  1. glad to hear you took a day off for yourself, kate! i need to do that more often. i wish i had unlimited time off because i usually use it all up during the holidays at the end of the year. i think those booties from DSW are cute and look pretty sturdy! if they're leather, wouldn't they hold up well... or couldn't you apply some shoe protestant? i have a pair of crown vintage heels and i love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so true, taking time out of our usual routine is healthy for us. Love your casual daytime look especially your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always nice to take a day for yourself. I enjoy getting my nails done on those days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get whole days anymore, but even a few hours to go shopping, read uninterrupted, or get crafty can make all the difference in my attitude! Glad you were able to spend some time to focus on yourself! I like those booties you linked to. They look like they would be pretty comfortable! Is the leather easily scuffed? I wouldn't get them unless you are sure though. $70 and you want to make sure it's something you love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree about taking a day for yourself! I get a few hours each week now that the little one goes to daycare, but even that is when I work. Looking forward to hubs getting home from deployment here soon, so mama can have a full day to herself! You look adorable in your joggers, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe in taking personal days when it means I won't end up with more work as a result of taking the day. (That's why I try to save it for test days or something "easy" to come back to/write sub plans for.) This outfit feels so different, and I love it. I've been looking for a good baseball hat, but I keep finding ones made out of wool. Pretty sure an itchy head isn't fashionable for me. Also, you keep making me want a pair of joggers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think everyone deserves a mental health day every once in awhile. I had one yesterday :) On my true days off, I usually don't leave my apartment. I read, I watch Netflix, I nap, etc. Since I spend my weekdays talking to over 150 teenagers and countless adults, I find that I just need time to myself to recharge my batteries. Although at least you got dressed for your mental health days. Mine involve not changing out of my pajamas...and I'm ok with that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! I try to use my weekends for "me time" as much as possible. If I'm not careful, I spend the whole time cleaning the house and doing laundry and running errands. You know, important things that need to happen! But I'm trying to get more of that boring stuff done during the weeknights, so I can really just bum around and read a book for 5 hours on Saturday if I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mental health days are so important! Being in a helping field and hearing half of the shit my kiddos go through every day means that I try to make every evening a mental health evening, haha. I just need time to decompress and try not to worry about my students! Usually, I spend my mental health days/evenings doing something independent and/or artistic. It could be making music, painting, drawing, watching Netflix or catching up on The Voice, blogging, planning outfits, snuggling with my dogs, etc. Also, I love that you went to Toys R Us for a mental health day. Kids at heart 4everrrr!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...