Wednesday, November 5, 2014

choices

One of my favorite ways I've ever worn this dress was with a black tee layered underneath, to create the illusion of a dress with sleeves. I chose to do it again, but this time with a long sleeve black tee. 

In other news, this morning I was watching The Chew, and the hosts said that Nordstrom will not be open on Thanksgiving. It looks like the same goes for CostCo and GameStop {source}. I think that this is fantastic. IMO, Thanksgiving isn't a time to be shopping, bumping elbows with your neighbor, and vying for a flat screen TV. It's a time to be with family, and to be grateful for what you already have. 

If you know me, you know that I don't always live up to my ideals. Last Thanksgiving night, I dragged my husband out to Wal-Mart so we could get The Dark Knight Rises on Blu-Ray for $7. While we were waiting at the traffic light, we could see the madness that was the packed parking lot. We questioned what it was that we were doing. Before the light even turned green, we decided to go back home. [The following morning (10ish), I dragged him back to Wal-Mart and I got my $7 DVD.]

While it was the right choice for us not to participate in consumerism on Thanksgiving, I wonder whether Nordstrom and other stores are making the right decision for their employees. On one hand, they get the day off. You would think this would make them happy. It turns out that some employees are disgruntled because they feel they are being deprived of the work (read: money). 

Where do you fall on the issue? Do you think the stores that will be closed on Thanksgiving are sending the right message? Or are they denying their employees of something they deserve?



Dress: Old Navy | almost identical
Long sleeve tee: SO via Kohl's | option - less than $10!
Scarf: The Limited | option
Belt: The Limited | option
Wedges: Merona via Target | similar

10 comments:

  1. Very cute outfit! Just gave me a great idea of how to style my own sleeveless black jumper:)

    I'm torn on the issue. I have wonderful neighbors who work in sales and it stinks that they have to work on Thanksgiving...but I'm nearing the end of a 9 month deployment where my husband had to work over Easter, his 30th Birthday, and so much more. So while I know we "signed up for it", I recognize that some jobs are not ideal...so, when it comes to things like this, it's just like "suck it up, buttercup, that's life"

    But don't tell my neighbors I said that! ;)

    xoNoel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this looks great! And I have similar feelings about the whole Thanksgiving thing. Since my dad is a pastor, he never really has a day off, because someone from church might need something. My mom worked at a hospital and would frequently volunteer to work holiday shifts for the extra money. I'm really grateful that John and I both have jobs where we get holidays off. So from that perspective, I think places should be closed on holidays if possible. But I also realize that folks who work retail might be more likely to need those hours of work, so I don't know. I do find it obnoxious that companies seem to be making decisions on being closed and then making a big deal about it for PR. Yeah, I know companies need to foster goodwill with customers, but it just seems like they are making the decision for the wrong reasons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always admired Publix (a grocery store around these parts) for remaining closed on Thanksgiving Day, despite it being one of the biggest food holidays. Their reasoning is to give their employees that day off to enjoy time with their families, just like everyone else. I fully support that notion, even if it does mean I can't make a last minute run for more canned pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of stores being closed so that employees can be with their family. As an employee of these stores, they know when they got this job that there's a possibility that they would have these days off and should not complain and just enjoy it.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidilfie.com

    P.S. Hope you stop by and join TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scarf goes so well with this black dress and longsleeve!
    I like your thoughts about thanksgiving. We do not have thanksgiving around here, but since its a time of the year where you say you are supposed to be with your family, enjoy your loved ones and be thankful for what you got, I think its good that shops are closed so that people are forced to concentrate on their loved ones and spend time with them.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your scarf. As a person who worked 10 years in retail. I enjoyed have Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter off to spending with my family. I was a upset when I work for DSW and they weren't closed on Easter. It was so had for me to go to work and not be with my family that day. I super proud of the store who are closed on Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the people who work in retail and want off for Thanksgiving outnumber the people that want the money for working on the holiday. I know my brother couldn't come to Thanksgiving because of the very early black Friday sales. I don't think that is fair to employees. I hope more stores close on Thanksgiving. It's a time to be with family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't have even noticed that this wasn't just a long-sleeved black dress unless you told me! Well done! And I really don't think any store should be open on Thansgiving. Rampant consumerism on a day of thanks, uhhh, no thanks. And if no stores were open on Thanksgiving than nobody's employees could be disgruntled because it would be a non-issue. That's my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been a "shop on Thanksgiving" kind of gal. For the past few years (last year in the apartment not included), we've hosted Thanksgiving at our house, so it's GLORIOUS to spend time with people I love, especially because I feel like I spend my life staring at students' papers. Since I never grade on Thanksgiving (which I wouldn't get paid for anyway), I don't think stores should make their employees work. In the words of The Offspring, you gotta keep 'em separated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I kind of hate all the consumerism that surrounds the holidays - and I'm not even religious, but it all seems to defeat the purpose of appreciating what you have and spending time with those you love. I dislike that all these retail stores are opening on Thanksgiving just to make more money...it just kind of rubs me the wrong way.

    This outfit, though? I love it. So smart to wear a shirt underneath to make it look like a dress with sleeves!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...