Wednesday, October 22, 2014

dark horse

I try my hardest to make sure I arrive to class at least five minutes prior to the time it officially begins. During that time, I set up any media I need for the day and look over my notes. While doing so today, one of my students asked me, "Where do you shop? I mean, where do you get your clothes?" Me: "umm... Target, Old Navy, The Limited, mall stores mostly, why?" Student X: "Oh you just always look so put together." It was a really nice compliment to receive. But it made me think. A lot. 

At first I was worried that my students might think I have a closet the size of Cher's from Clueless. Then I thought of why the compliment meant so much to me, and I realized it was because I don't think of myself as always looking put together. I don't create pin-worthy outfits, and my blog doesn't stand out from the rest. But that's relative to the blogosphere. Relative to every other woman in my building, I might be a contender for best dressed.

I think I've let myself gradually disconnect from reality over the past few months, and live in the blogosphere. I roll my eyes at people who can't put their iPhones down for one minute, but am I any better when I spend most all of my free time on my laptop? (No.) So I'm making it a personal goal for the rest of the semester to dedicate myself fully to preparing for my comprehensive exams. So watch out self, because I'm coming at you like a dark horse.




Tee: The Limited | save, spend, go broke
Necklace: Shy Boutique | same
Cardigan: via Target | similar
Skirt: Old Navy | same style
Wedges: via Target | similar


[day 12 of the 21 day buffet: any cardigan, ON striped skirt]

[Linking up with Andi]

9 comments:

  1. Love this post Kate! I hear you about what you wear and how you end up comparing yourself to other bloggers. I have to agree with your student that you look very put together whenever I see your outfits. I am really making an effort on not buying for the rest of year (though these sales are killing me) in an effort to use what's in my closet.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    P.S. Hope to see you this Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed that reminder. It can be hard to not compare yourself to other bloggers. I find myself spending more time putting together outfits because I feel like I can't go the simple route sometimes and just do pants and a sweater. I do think you always look put together though so I second your student's opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree - I get so caught up in the whole blogging thing sometimes. I always try to be authenticate as possible, but does every outfit need to be "blog worthy" or so I need to debate between what grey belt looks better for 5 minutes? No. That is ridiculous. I think this is a great reminder that living comes first, blogging comes second :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely! Since taking my little blogging break here, and working with all new people at my new school, I've been focusing more on looking put-together but not trying to be "the best!" if that makes sense. And I would agree with your student, you are always very put together. I really like this fun look with the graphic tee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all need this remember here and there. I have started to take the weekends. Which has me able to enjoy me weekend more. Also I think some time we are just to hard on ourselves with what we wear. I have to agree with your student you all look nice in the outfits you wear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I've been worried that people will think I spend way more money on clothes than I actually do. One of my co-workers found my blog a couple years ago and asked me how much I spend on clothes, and she was shocked that I spend less than she does!
    I have to confess that it took me way too long to figure out what was on your shirt. Oh, a dark horse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oof, I totally understand what you mean. My blogging has been spotty at best lately, and I think part of the reason is due to my outfits. I'm finally at a point where I don't feel the need to push the envelope with my outfits or create the best ensembles or have the biggest (or smallest, as minimalism becomes more commonplace) anymore, but I do want to continue blogging. It is a fun way for me to track my outfits and continue learning about what works for me and what doesn't. It helps me stay creative and not get bored with my closet. I've met some fantastic women through blogging (like yourself!!) who I definitely want to continue getting to know. Because of all this, I'm really trying to not be hard on myself with the whole blogging thing, and keep it fresh and fun. I've also tried hard to unplug a little bit more and enjoy reading, being creative, playing with the pups, hanging out with Kevin, making new friends, etc., which often means that I don't touch my computer for days. And honestly, I'm okay with that, too. It's all about the journey, right?? :)

    [Also, your shirt is super cool.]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! Just found your blog today, and I'm so excited because we shop at many of the same stores, have similar body types, and seem to tend towards similar styles. I think your blog will give me lots of inspiration. In fact, I have this exact same striped Old Navy skirt, and I would LOVE to see you style it for cold weather. I'm at a loss as to what to do with it right now in frigid MN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello! I have styled a very similar skirt to this one (white with black stripes, also from Old Navy) for colder weather. You can see the looks here.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...