Thursday, September 25, 2014

give in to fall

Wednesday morning, I woke up with a plan. That plan was to wear my new skirt from J. Crew Factory. After all, I said on Monday that I would be wearing it sometime this week for Skirt Week (co-hosted by Andi and Inge). But when I put it on, it didn't fit (so I opted for a different black skirt that also doesn't fit). It was all poofy in the front, but tight on the sides. I don't even know how that happens, but it did. So now I'm rethinking my revelation and thinking about giving up.

Giving up must be the theme of this week; I've also given up my fight against fall. What the calendar says, goes, and my calendar says plaid, layers, and neutrals. I think it also says booties, but I don't even know where to begin. Buckle booties? Wedge booties? Cut-out booties? Or should I just try to make mine work? (I've been trying to do that for two years but have not yet succeeded, so any advice you throw my way would be greatly appreciated!)



Cardigan: (c/o Mom) Banana Republic | option
Shirt: (c/o Mom) J. Crew Factory | similar
Necklace: via groopdealz | same style
Skirt: The Limited | option
Wedges: via Target | similar

9 comments:

  1. So weird about the new skirt! I have no idea what to tell you about booties. I have 2 black pairs from Target that I've hardly ever worn (I think they were less than $10 each), and I think I'm going to sell them at the consignment shop. Then I have a pair of flat gray booties that I found at Payless for super cheap, but I think they look weird with skinny jeans, and I think they look weird with skirts, so that pretty much exhausts my possibilities. I'm going to try again this winter, but they might get sold off as well.

    For what it's worth, I really love this outfit! I'm afraid of navy plaid, because of my uniform days, but every time you wear this shirt, I think it looks so great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the wedge booties. I sure you can figure away to make yours work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this outfit and it would look great with the taupe buckle booties, too.

    Have a great weekend, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Booties are so cute on everyone else, but I have trouble styling mine, too! That doesn't stop me from window shopping for more though! I love this outfit! I am sort of giving up with fall, too. Although I am staying away from boots and tights for now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm actually planning on try wearing my booties tomorrow. I haven't had much success with styling them either, but at least they were cheap (like $10 at Wal-Mart).
    I really like how you paired plaid with a dressier silhouette. So often I just assume that my plaid button downs are only meant for wearing with jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How odd that your new skirt did not fit well today. Good luck with finding a pair of booties that will work for you. Booties are very versatile with both skirts and pants so I am sure you will get a lot of mileage out of them.

    BTW, I hope you will join me in TBT Fashion link up now live on my blog.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. that plaid you're wearing is one of my favorite plaids of all time! both me and fall are thanking you for pulling it out of the depths of your closet! and i don't know what you are talking about crazy lady, i love all the outfits where you've worn your cowboy booties, so i say keep wearing 'em! then again, i question my own booties every time i wear them so maybe i am not the best person to receive style confirmations from. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so weird about your skirts! I have noticed pencil skirts can do that weird poof thing in the front but have no idea what causes that. As for booties, I'm also on the hunt for another pair but haven't decided if I need them or not. Have you tried Pinterest to discover ways to wear yours? I think if they're worn with pants, then the legs have to be rolled, with leggings pushed up above the ankles, and with dresses and skirts- they can be worn as is or with tights since they're close-toed. My boots are almost identical to yours and I've tried them with everything from dresses to jeans (and unsuccessfully with leggings, didn't pull them up at the ankles). Here's a few ways I've worn them if they help:
    http://exploringmystyleblog.blogspot.com/search/label/booties

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look of booties, but I'm kind of an idiot at styling them. I just can never get them to look right with me!! I loooove your shirt + cardigan combo. Those big buttons? Love.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...