Wednesday, August 13, 2014

navy week :: navy floral maxi

On Monday, Andi featured her new navy floral skirt on her blog. I adored that outfit and everything about it so much that it made me want to get a navy floral skirt. I quickly remembered that I already have a navy floral maxi dress, which is kind of like a navy floral skirt. Perfect for navy week! (Join the fun and link up your navy looks after the jump!)

The last time I wore my floral maxi, I included a photo with a chambray blazer that I had found on clearance at Target. I ended up returning it, but I let it inspire this outfit - which I wore to the zoo. My husband and I planned to arrive at the zoo when it opened (it seems to be when the animals are most active). It was a surprisingly cool morning, which meant I would need to layer up. A blazer felt too formal, as did a cardigan. So I went the casual route by tying up my chambray shirt. I would love to tie up my chambray shirt more often during the summer, but it's usually too hot to. Maybe that means I need this sleeveless version?

[FYI: the weird splotches on my shirt and nose are just bits of sun shining through the trees.]



Chambray: Old Navy | similar
Maxi Dress: Forever 21| option, option
Sandals: via Target | exact

Follow the jump to link up your navy looks!



10 comments:

  1. I love this! I've been thinking that I need a sleeveless chambray all summer, and I've put the JCF popover in my online shopping cart several times, but never pulled the trigger on it. And now it's the end of the year, so I should probably wait to see if I still want it next summer. But it's a popover, so I couldn't do this tying trick. Hmm, such tough decisions. One thing I know is that I will be pairing my chambray top with my floral skirt soon after the 30X30 is done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the cutest! I really like that floral skirt/dress with the tied chambray. I hope you had a good time, I love visiting the zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gah, i love the tied up chambray! i wish i were cool enough to pull of this look. it works perfectly with the long maxi skirt/dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a strapless maxi I've been neglecting all summer because I just don't like strapless anymore. I need to try this with it! Duh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute look! I love the idea of adding a chambray shirt as a less formal alternative to a blazer. I also really love the pattern on your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love knotting my chambray shirts over Dresses this Summer, especially over my Floral Dresses. I have done that several times. Great look and what an adorable maxi dress.

    Would love for you to check out the cute navy jump-suit that I linked up. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my very favorite looks I've seen on your blog so far! Such a pretty dress and I love how you layered it with the chambray top! :)

    xo Always, Abby

    ReplyDelete
  8. I purchased a sleeveless chambray and have worn it several times. It was a good investment. Anytime you can get double duty out of an outfit someone gets total kudos. I get such a mental block sometimes trying to reinvent a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look gorgeous here Kate! That dress is just darling and the chambray adds a fun touch to it. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this, Kate! I look utterly ridiculous with my shirts tied up like this, but I think it looks really cute on a lot of other people - yourself included! The print on your dress is really pretty :) I'm jealous you went to the zoo - I've had the itch to go to the MN Zoo for like three years now (no joke) and haven't made it. Once I get my first paycheck, I'm going to make a plan to have a zoo date with Kevin!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...