Thursday, June 19, 2014

dress week :: faux maxi dress

Would you believe me if I told you that I don't own a black maxi dress? I've been tempted to buy one on numerous occasions, but I've resisted because I already have a black maxi skirt. After seeing so many great outfits revolving around black maxi dresses on Pinterest, I thought I'd take a stab at putting together one of my own. With a black tank and black maxi skirt, I created my own faux black maxi dress. I used an elastic belt to enhance the illusion.

On a side note, when starting my closet purge, I almost got rid of this knit cardigan. I decided against it because I had no good reason to do so. I thought, "You know, I might wear this again some day." And wear it again I did. I think it complimented the belt and faux maxi dress in just the right way. Have you ever worn a faux maxi dress?

Also, I'm linking up with Bri from Work Clothes, I Suppose for Third Thursday Threads. This time around, the theme is "Must-Have for Summer." After giving it some thought, I'd say the black maxi skirt/maxi dress is the summer must have. It goes with everything. Graphic tees. A tank and a scarf. And the list goes on. What is your must-have for summer?




Cardigan: The Limited | option, option
Tank: SO via Kohl's | same style
Belt: The Limited | similar, similar
Maxi Skirt: H&M | exact
Sandals: via Target | exact


[Linking up with Andi and Heidi for Dress Week!]

15 comments:

  1. I think that cardigan looks really good with your belt! And I wouldn't have even known this wasn't a dress if you hadn't said so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love how you turn the maxi skirt in to a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, so cute and creative! I love that cardigan :) I've never tried to make a faux maxi dress, and have actually never owned a maxi dress either. Guess I need to amend that :) My summer must-have . . . hmm. I really don't know about that one.

    dance a real

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you believe if I told you I don't have a black maxi dress OR a black maxi skirt? I love the look of them on everyone else, but maxi skirts are weird for me. I have a zebra print maxi dress, and a purple linen maxi skirt, but that's it for long dresses/skirts in my closet.

    I'm glad you kept the cardigan - it's really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fully support the faux maxi dress. I am actually now thinking of the colors of maxi skirts I have so I could do something like this. I have a black maxi dress but it is cinched in the middle which makes it kind of uncomfortable. I actually think this is a better option!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A faux maxi dress is such a clever idea! I think I need to try that! I have printed maxis, but like you I never invested in a black maxi! 😀 Maybe we can have faux jumpsuits/ playsuits too! 😍

    www.mylattedays.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't done a faux maxi but between you and one other blogger that I've seen do it, I'm determined to give it a try. Or do some type of monochomatic look with my maxis! The pieces are all doing double duty, which is something I'm 110% for! That knit cardigan looks perfect for summer months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you faked it because one could never tell. The hair looks fab shorter too. I may or may have not cut mine, too. =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your faux maxi is so cute! I love the pattern on the cardigan: you're right that it gives the outfit a little something special!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this outfit, Kate! The faux maxi dress look just works for you! I love how you kept it all neutral as well. I don't actually own any maxi dresses or maxi skirts...WHAT?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wouldn't have thought twice if you said this was a black maxi dress. I totally agree, you should have EITHER a black maxi skirt or dress in your summer wardrobe because they're so versatile! I love the idea of a bold belt!

    xo Jackie
    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks great! I wouldn't have known that it wasn't a dress if you hadn't mentioned it. I actually still have not worn a maxi anything at all yet! But I've been so tempted lately!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks just as good as a maxi dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So clever! I have a black maxi skirt but not a dress, too, so this is such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey what I great idea!! I would have totally assumed that was a dress but you sure fooled me! And hey, that cardigan is perfect for summer when you just want a little something to cover your shoulders without being too warm. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...