Saturday, May 10, 2014

shopping recap

I went shopping with a friend yesterday to celebrate the semester coming to an end. Before we got to the mall, I decided that I was going to let myself buy something, regardless of how much it cost, regardless of whether I needed that thing or not. It's been a draining semester, and it was time to reward myself for making it to the end.

The first thing that caught my attention were these heels, but at $99, I put them on the back burner. I ended up forgetting all about them until I started writing this post. At The Limited, I tried on these shorts (in navy), but they felt like bike shorts. Pass. I also passed on a top like this one (but it was so loud in person), and this dress (it was too big on top).

I popped my head into Forever 21 after realizing I still had store credit. I must say I'm impressed with their Love 21 line. I was really tempted by this maxi dress, until I saw its back straps. Anything that requires a fancy bra is an automatic pass for me.

I thought it would be another bust of a trip, but then we went to H&M, and I found this scarf. I'm actually really excited about. I've been looking for a blue and white patterned scarf for some time, and I'm happy that I was able to get one for under $15.

A few pairs of shoes caught my eye at Nordstrom Rack (including these from Zigi Soho (in neutral and in black). I passed on them because my feet felt too narrow for them (even after being on my feet all day). I did, however, buy these flats (in taupe stripe). I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep them because I haven't come up with that many ways to style them. If you have any ideas/comments about them, please share!

I went to Old Navy with the intention of buying a pair of these shorts, but I couldn't find any in my size! I'm considering ordering them online, but I'd need another $30 worth of stuff in order to qualify for free shipping (I refuse to pay for shipping). I love my striped skirt so much I have considered ordering another, but do I really need two black and white striped skirts?

To make a long story short: it was great to get away from school and work for a day. I went home with a scarf and a pair of flats. And I did it all while wearing this outfit:



Sweater: Old Navy
Necklace: Forever 21
Flats: via Target

10 comments:

  1. Well, I have those Old Navy shorts and love them! I've been thinking about getting the navy/white striped skirt like our black/white one. But then I bought a navy and lighter blue skirt, so it seems like that would be a similar thing. But I think navy and white would go with more things, so I don't know. I'm hoping I find it on sale for less than $10 and that will be an easy decision!

    I love the scarf you got! My plan is to not "go shopping" any in May. I already spent a decent chunk of my budget on some Sperrys, and I told myself I would avoid shopping for the sake of shopping until I got my closet inventory done. So, we'll see when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo my those flats are CUTE. These pants are so dang versatile. I love all of the ways that you've styled them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have great self control! Those flats are really cute and can be worn with dress/shorts/pants.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those shoes you came with are so cute and unique - love them! I think they'd look great with white jeans, a gray tee, and a jean jacket. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that you still showed great self-restraint! I really love the scarf you chose--it will be versatile, I'm sure!
    I refuse to pay for shipping too, so I'll often ask my mom if there is anything she wants from Old Navy (usually for the grandkids) so we can combine our order and get to the $50 minimum :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely refuse to pay for shipping, too. The flats you got are really cute! Could you wear them with navy, mint, purple, or black? I like the stripes on them. And your patterned pants definitely made me get a pair! I am pleasantly surprised at how versatile a pair of patterned pants can be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just ordered those Old Navy shorts in grey (and a black pair) and to get the free shipping I ordered the grey zippered pants you have! We'll see how they work out for me. I figure at the least I'll just return them in store. Too bad about that maxi dress, it's absolutely adorable! But I'm with you, weird straps are a no-go for me too. Love the scarf you got, the pattern is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seriously find that when I go shopping with a "purpose," I'm never successful! I just feel like the pressure to find something just makes me have bad luck or something.

    Trying to avoid paying for shipping can be dangerous. I was thisclose to buying a dress from Banana Republic because I needed a few more dollars to qualify on an Old Navy jacket.....but when I thought logically about the fact that the dress cost more than the jacket, I was like...no.

    xo Jackie
    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been shopping in such a long time and your post is making me want to go! I usually don't buy anything, but I at least like knowing what's out there. I really like those flats! Yellow, is kind of tough, but I know they would be great with anything gray. And I definitely think they'd look good with most skirts and dresses. Having a little space between the color of your skirt and the color of the shoes would make it easier... I hope that makes sense!

    And I LOVE these pants!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...