Saturday, May 31, 2014

May Budget

After an awesome month of not spending any money (!!), that all went down the drain this month. In my defense, it was one of the most mentally exhausting and emotionally grueling semesters I maybe have ever had. So, I treated myself... a few times.





1. Gap fitted boyfriend gingham shirt (in mint): originally $50, on clearance for $15
2. BC Footwear: Writings on the Wall flats (in taupe): $30
3. Merona women's crepe shift dress (in sour cream print): originally $25, with coupon and gift card: $15
4. Gianni Bini zoey moto jacket: originally $135, on clearance for $48
5. H&M patterned scarf: $13

= $121 $106

Ouch. 

Even though I ended up spending $0 in April, and I made $48.89 selling clothes, it's still a lot to spend in one month.

I'm really happy with the gingham shirt and scarf, but the flats were honestly downright unnecessary. Unfortunately I decided to wear them before I did my closet inventory. But the way my mind works, if I wear them a bunch, I'll feel like it was a justified purchase. Now to just do that. 

The moto jacket was a splurge, but it was also my treat for making it through the spring semester. I've been so bored with the typical mall stores lately, so my friend and I decided to walk through Dillard's (even though everything in it is way past our price point). The moto jacket caught my eye, (as did the 65% off sign on the rack) and so I tried it on. It slipped on so smoothly! I put it on hold for the day, and at the end of the mall trip, decided I couldn't go home without it. I actually tried on a similar jacket from LOFT a few months ago at the same price, but it fit terribly, had no structure, and looked like it was already starting to fall apart. Long story short: I'm not sorry I bought the jacket. 

I was really tempted to buy these shorts and this skirt from Old Navy, but again, after doing my closet inventory, I couldn't justify it. I may or may have not accidentally bought this sweater and this tee from J. Crew Factory during their Memorial Day weekend sale. I didn't include it in this month's budget since I haven't yet received them, and they're probably going back. If on the off chance I decide to keep anything from the order, I'll include it in my June budget.

[Linking up with Fran for Budgeting Bloggers

11 comments:

  1. Cute moto jacket! I have had my eye on dresses like that, too. I can't wait to see how you wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That jacket is great! It's nice to treat yourself with something special every now and then! I love the colors of the tops you ordered from J. Crew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to do one of these inventories that everyone is doing! I think it would help me curb my purchases. Your items go so well together. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that all the purchases you made are great and there is no reason to feel guilty! I also went a little crazy this month and am not feeling to great about it...but it's okay to treat ourselves once in awhile as long as we always go back to careful spending. And I think those flats are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't beat yourself too hard Kate. You still did really well. Love the Moto Jacket and the little Geo-print Dress. Target does it again. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rough month! I have been so tempted by that dress. It comes in so many pretty print options!! But I was resisted in May. I kind of hope I find one on clearance and then I can justify it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did really well this month, and even though it may be more than you wanted to spend, it's still not too bad considering that you didn't spend anything the month before!

    xo Jackie
    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great item! As long as you'll get a lot of wear out of them, and you love them, I think that's all that matters. Great score on that jacket! I can't wait to see how you style it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That moto jacket is too cute! and umm... I just bought the Loft version from ThredUP last week (it should be on my doorstep right now so I just need to get off my computer and head home) and now I'm kind of worried. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. That scarf is so pretty! I think that doing a closet inventory was one of the best things I could have done for my wardrobe and shopping habits. It helped me see everything that I own and helped me realize what I like and what I don't like, what gets worn and what just hangs (and therefore should leave my closet). I appreciate that you're so willing to examine your shopping/spending habits though :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...