Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Pinspired: double color + print pants

I use Pinterest as a way to get ideas for outfits. I used to repeatedly make the mistake of obsessing over a pinned outfit, and then running out and getting the item(s) to recreate that outfit. The problem was that I'd recreate the outfit, and then not know how else to wear the item(s) I had just bought. I've learned from my mistakes, and now, rather than seeing a pin for the things I don't have, I look at it as a source of possibility, and a time to be creative.

Take this pin for example {original source unknown}. I don't have a mustard sweater, a mustard scarf, mustard shoes, or plaid/gingham pants. However, I do have a pair of print pants in black and white (which are back in stock online), and I do have a sweater and scarf in the same color. My shoes are obviously a much darker purple, but I thought they worked with what I was going for.

My advice? Don't feel limited to copying pins item for item. Think about what you like about the pin: the colors, the shapes, the themes, and take it from there.





Pashmina: gift | option
Sweater: Old Navy | last worn
Flats: Old Navy | option

12 comments:

  1. Good advice! And every time I see someone sport a pretty lilac/purple/lavender/whatever color you want to call it sweater/cardigan, I realize how much I wish I owned more purple in my closet. I should really get on that. However, I do have an outfit planned for tomorrow that involves purple. If I don't change my mind...which is bound to happen. Anyway, I love your version of the pin; it brings the look into spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a fantastic job recreating that pin and adapting it to your needs and tastes. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more! Take what you like, the colors, mix of prints, etc. and make it work! Often I only pin outfits I know I can recreate, too! I love the different shades of purple you used! This turned out better than the pin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is good advice! i don't use pinterest much (i guess i am not good at searching because i can just never find anything pinspiring on there) but i can see how it would be easy to try to replicate an exact outfit you find and like rather than interpreting it with what you already own. i think you did that great here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely sage advice here! It's all too tempting to fall into that trap of "ooh, I like--I must buy everything in this pin!" Re-creating the just shape or texture combination in an outfit is more affordable and usually more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your pants and sweater! I am running this awesome Chanel spring make-up collection giveaway that is worth over $158. I think you'll love it!

    Come by soon!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. love how you took the pin and made it yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great example of working with what you have! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is by far my most favorite way you have worn these B+W Pants. I love them with Lavender. So cute. Great take on the Pinned look. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree! I used to pin outfits thinking, "hmm someday I might have all these pieces to wear this." But now I just find a way to make it work if I see something I like. The possibilities are endless! I really like this combination of the black and white and purple.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the same problem with Pinterest! I used to pin all these outfits I loved and realized I couldn't copy any of them. My solution at the time was to then buy all the pieces like you mentioned but since I'd never owned them before, I wouldn't know how to style it except for the one way it was shown in the pin. I love how you interpreted this picture and actually think your outfit is much nicer than the mustard! The purple on purple looks more natural and those pattered pants are SO fun and look fantastic on you. Great choice and great pinning tips!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a huuuge purple fan, so I really like when you wear that sweater and scarf. I think that they look great with those pants, as well! I agree with you about Pinterest - it can be tempting to want to buy the exact pieces you see in a pin, but it's kind of fun to make what you have work instead :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...