Monday, March 31, 2014

coral, stripes, and some math

Today's outfit is built on one of my favorite templates: blazer + top + skirt. Some of my favorite outfits of 2013 were built on this template (123).

In my March budget, I mentioned I was unsure about whether I'd keep this white blouse. Thank you to those of you who put in your two cents. After thinking about the purchases, and reminding myself what I want my spending habits to look like, I've decided it's going back. I realized that if I were to wear a blazer, a shirt, and a skirt every day, with 5 blazers, 5 shirts, and 5 skirts (which I have), I could make 125 different outfits. And if I were to teach 5 days a week, that would give me 25 work-weeks worth of outfits, which covers almost half the year! If I were to add 3 more shirts to the mix, and 2 pairs of pants to the mix (again, which I already have) I would have enough outfits to go an entire work-year without repeating a single outfit. 

I realize that the math above assumes that all blazers, shirts, and bottoms can all be paired together, but that only eliminates so many outfits. The point is, I can create more outfits than I know what to do with based on what I already have, and I have yet to take an official inventory of my closet. If you have, multiply the number of tops you have by the number of bottoms you have. That's how many basic outfits you could create. Scary? Disgusting? Overwhelming?

It's good to think about these things from time to time. But to end on a happier note, let me ask you this: 

Why can't you hear a pterodactyl go to the bathroom? 
Because the P is silent.




Blazer: Shade Clothing | option, option
Blue Oxford: Gap (c/o Mom) | option
Necklace: via Groopdealz | option
Coral Skirt: The Limited | last worn
Nude Heels: Comfort Plus via Payless


[Linking up with Lindsey, Molly and Jen]

13 comments:

  1. I think I'd be horrified to do this math :)

    Also, I love your bathroom joke. TOTALLY perfect teacher humour!

    xo Jackie
    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brynn from Brynnash did a closet inventory today and it made me interested in how much I have (although I'm not completely sure I want to know)! I just love that blazer on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, my head is spinning!! :) but i definitely get what you are saying. posts like this definitely make me look at my closet in a different way. it makes me wonder if i will ever be ok with a closet that isn't jammed full. for some reason quantity seems to equate to endless options, and maybe it could if i really followed equations such as the ones you shared here. i've never taken an official inventory of my closet either, i think i'd need a goal before doing so to make it a meaningful activity. like, what do i want to understand/change/gain from knowing the # of skirts i own and the # of cardigans i own. i will have to put some thought into that. anyway, i love this outfit on you and i love that your posts make me think so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute look! Love the blazer.
    I have never taken a tally of my wardrobe's contents (although I do have pictures of everything on Go Chic or Go Home). I am sure I would be totally nauseated to see how many combinations I could make with what I already have. Thanks for the reminder to slow down on spending!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this look! I do not want to do the math of my closet...it would probably mean that I don't need to ever shop again.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha I liked that joke first of all. Secondly I really like your math and I'd never guess that 15 pieces of clothing (5 blazers, 5 shirts & 5 skirts) can indeed create 125 outfits. WOW that is a ton. That is why I am doing a 30 for 30 this month of April. I need to keep myself accountable for what I have and how much I spent. There is no way I could do an inventory of my closet because just like Alice, I'd never have to shop again. LOL

    Last but not least, you look great. The best outfit you have put together with your Coral Skirt. I need a Striped Blazer like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep your math is right! It's crazy when you sit down and think about it like that. I haven't done a closet inventory yet either. I've been seeing other people doing it (like Brynn and Kimmie) and I think I'm intimidated. I love this look you've put together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Math is sometimes kind of convicting, huh! When I did the 30X30 in January, I ran into the exact same thing. It was way easier than I expected, because almost everything went together, and it was pretty much top + layering piece + bottom. Now, I did miss the other items in my closet, but I didn't get too terribly bored of the things I had. After Brynn's inventory post, I am really thinking I should do something similar, and think about it from this perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these colors together, Kate! Jeff's colleague always tells him stupid jokes, so Jeff feels it necessary to relay these jokes to me later. I FINALLY had one to share with him (yours...because it was funny...unlike his), and he's like "eh." Seriously, man!? That joke is so much funnier than the ones he tells. Whatever. As for counting up stuff in my closet, I am afraid. Very afraid. However, I am seriously considering it thanks to you and Brynn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heh..perspective! With the amount in my closet sometimes, I am scared to even do the math, I think I can last a lifetime and not need to shop again..now thts a problem! Looking adorable with this color combination..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute, cute, cute! I love it all! I really need to get a colored pencil skirt.

    ~Sarah
    http://atowngirlslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! I'm loving your closet math - this is part of the reason I did a closet inventory. I know that I can create TONS of really unique, cute, classic looks with just a limited amount of pieces. Having 400 things in my closet feels so crazy (and disgusting, using one of your words!!) to me. I want to cut wayyy down on how much I own!!

    I love this outfit, by the way. Your striped blazer is too cute, and it looks great with your shirt and skirt!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...