Friday, February 7, 2014

No Longer Neglected: Jacquard Pashmina

When I first started my blog, I would occasionally offer a "fashion tip of the day" -- even though I had no audience. I haven't given any fashion tips lately. Part of me thinks that I am in no place to offer advice, while the other part thinks that any advice I could share is already common sense. (And who wants common sense advice like, "Blazers are a great way to polish any look!" and "Don't leave the house without pants on!"?)

Sometimes I neglect items because I don't know how to wear them. I got this pashmina in undergrad (maybe even high school) but only ever wore it one way: paired with a white polo and navy blue boyfriend cardigan. I haven't worn it since, except under a coat when taking the dogs out.

Given how cold it is these days, I knew I would want to be bundled up today. Boots, heavy sweater, and possibly a scarf. The last time I wore this cardigan, I paired it with my pink pashmina. I was so inspired, I copied myself.

Fashion Tip of the Day: If you're unsure about how to style a particular item, consider outfits you've worn in the past with similar items. A few minor changes can come off looking like an entirely new outfit!




Pashmina: gift [similar]
Cardigan: LOFT (c/o Mom) [option]
Chambray Shirt: Old Navy [exact]
Pants: The Limited [exact]
Boots: Dexter via Payless

17 comments:

  1. Love this look! Clearly that scarf was a good purchase. :)

    Jess - J's Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you tied the pashmina :) I have a red version of this one which I might have to copy for red week! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great look! I like your fashion tip too--I definitely have a few items in my closet to which I might apply that concept.
    Just looking at all that snow is making me cold. Hope you're staying warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looooove snow. We don't get enough of it here. (I used to live in Michigan, and am so jealous of how much they've gotten this year.)

      Delete
  4. This pashmina is gorgeous!! I'm glad you found a way to wear it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, you have some snow!! yay!! what a pretty scarf, i love that jacquard print. it looks warm but is also more visually interesting than a plain/neutral colored scarf. the fashion tips i see on a lot of blogs do see like common sense, but i bet there are people interested in fashion out there who need those tips to get them started. i definitely don't feel qualified to dish out fashion how-tos but i think your tip here is great!

    -heidi @ literate & stylish

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mean, there are some people who could really use that tip about pants. Or they think they are wearing pants, and don't realize their leggings are see-through in the back.

    Anyway, I think this is a great look, and a great tip to get inspiration from our own previous outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SNOW! So pretty! Please mail some to me :)
    Can your next tip be to show us how you tied/wrapped that scarf? I have a similar one that I just can't figure out what to do with.
    Also, I love the "I was so inspired, I copied myself." HILARIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great layering Kate! I don't know how you are able to stand out in the snow to take these pics..it just looks so cold. And you get your inspiration from one stylish gal :)

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually love snow and think cold weather is so much more tolerable when there's snow outside. Plus, we haven't gotten much of it, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts!

      Delete
  9. You are glowing on these photos. I am loving all the snow. Where in MI did you live and where do you live now?

    ReplyDelete
  10. KATE! This outfit is so amazing! I am absolutely smitten with that scarf - those colors are simply gorgeous and I'm a huge fan of these jacquard pashminas. I have one that is gold and blue and one that is gold and black, and I love them so much. I'm always looking for similar scarves in different color palettes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooohhh I really like that scarf/pashmina! It's a really pretty color and pattern. You look cute and cozy - that sounds weird, but most of the time when I dress "cozy" I'm not able to pull off "cute" too :) And I like your fashion tips! Totally legit. At least more so than "a blazer is a good thing to wear over another shirt."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this outfit! Glad you gave your scarf another try. It looks so pretty the way you have styled it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty! I am a new follower coming over from your Valentines Day Link-up--which I just love :) I love this look and your idea of mixing a few items to make a whole new look! Being a person on a budget--this is how I like to get the most wear out of my clothes :)

    Tori
    FashionBlingGirlyThings

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, I did the exact same thing - had every day fashion tips, though no one read my blog for months. That died off quickly. :P This is a gorgeous outfit! The sweater looks so cozy, and the scarf is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The "don't leave the house without any pants on!" tip made me laugh out loud! :)

    And this pashmina is seriously so pretty. Hope you get to wear it more- it looks really nice paired with the chambray :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...