Thursday, September 5, 2013

on comfort

When I think of the word "comfort", a few different ideas come to mind. I think of what makes a person comfortable, or what brings comfort to a person. I also think of the "comfort zone". Going over the syllabus on the first day of class can bring an instructor out of her comfort zone because the situation is new and unpredictable. Once she settles in, however, she can find the sound of the projector turning on quite comforting. I think fashion operates in a similar way.

We can say sweatpants are comfortable, in the sense that they are not restricting; we are free to move as we please. We can find comfort in a pair of jeans-- maybe because of a significant memory attached, maybe because they have proven to be reliable. Or maybe there's just a musky scent to them that comforts us. The kind of outfit that is most comfortable to me is the kind that I put on and don't think about for the rest of the day. No fuss, no worries. For me, today's outfit is a paradigm for comfort.




Occasion: Attending class
T-shirt: via Target {other options}
Belt: via Kohl's {similar}
Maxi Skirt: H&M
Sandals: via Target {in black}

Story time. I went to return something today and decided to poke my head into J. Crew for kicks and giggles. First, I walked around the entire store and past every rack before an associate acknowledged my presence. (I was the only other person in the store.) Finally one came up to me and said "Oh-- I didn't know they have that in a shirt!" Me: "huh?" Her: "Have you read the book? It's fantastic." For the record, I have read the book. Many, many times. I've also seen the movie twice.

[Linking up with Heather for Pinned It and Did It-- I was inspired to pair a maxi skirt and graphic tee from this pin. I added the glitter belt to add some cheer to an otherwise simple outfit.]

8 comments:

  1. I really wish you had pretended not to know it was a book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute tee! I have not bought this book for my son yet and it's on my list.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tee, and how you've dressed it up with the comfy skirt. I totally agree about comfort. The whole "wear it and don't worry about it" thing is so important to me. If I'm constantly readjusting all day, I'm just not comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tee, and how you've dressed it up with the comfy skirt. I totally agree about comfort. The whole "wear it and don't worry about it" thing is so important to me. If I'm constantly readjusting all day, I'm just not comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The belt totally makes this outfit. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where The Wild Things Are is the best children's book ever, so naturally, I approve of this outfit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i had a j.crew associate talk to me in a fake british accent once. it was definitely offputting! annnyyway, awesome book=awesome tee and it looks so chic with that skirt!

    dash dot dotty

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...