Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Adventures at the Mall

I bought this dress in February and it was finally warm enough to wear it today. Hooray! Let's ignore that they are calling for snow this week. I apologize for the lack of creativity in today's outfit. I'll try to make up for it with a really awesome detailed story about my trip to the mall today.



Occasion: Proctoring an Exam
Dress: Forever 21
Cardigan: The Limited
Sandals: Merona via Target

If you're ready for a story about my adventures in the mall today...  (Please do! I really want to know your opinion about a dress I may have spent too much on....)


A friend and I decided to go to the mall today to do some returns. Our plan was to make our returns, get our free chocolate from Godiva, and leave. Unfortunately when we got there, we learned that Godiva had shut down. Somehow that led to shopping. 

Our first stop was The Limited. Of course they get brand new stuff in the day we decide to go. A navy dress caught my eye, and so I had to try it on. Oh em gee. I don't know how to say this without sounding like I'm bragging, but I'm going to say it anyway: I look amazing in this dress. This dress looks amazing on me. Me + this dress = #amazefest.

The price, however, was not amazing. In fact, it was a little steep for me, despite its 40% markdown (and despite that I had a $15 coupon, too). I put it on hold and we went to Forever 21 to do our next set of returns. I completely forgot the receipt for this skirt, but the manager said I could do an exchange... which meant I had to find something to replace it. I have seven F21 items bookmarked, but was only able to find one, and naturally that thing looked so much cheaper in person. I ended up going home with this skirt and a sheer baby blue button up top (not available online, but similar to this). I'm pretty sure I'll be making a trip back to the mall within the next three weeks to find something to replace the skirt. It gives me a bubble butt-- just like it does for the model!

I did resist LOFT's additional 60% off sale merchandise, however. I know it's a great deal, but all I could think about was the navy dress. It made me feel like a goddess. But how much does that feeling go for these days? $45? In my defense, it's been a long time since I've put an item on hold and been like "I waaaaant it so badddd" while I'm in other stores. And I used store credit, so it's not like any extra money was spent?

I wonder if I only feel like a real splurge because a) I'm so cheap I can't remember the last time I spent that much on a dress or b) oh wait, that's right, it was last weekend when I went to Gap. I didn't know Gap was having a sale until I saw Fran's new purchases. Obviously I had to rush out and see what I could get my hands on. I was hoping to purchase these shorts, but they were $25 (too much). I did, however, find the same print in dress form for $29. Yes, please? Then I saw these cropped pants (in black) for $21. I blame my going home with the dress and pants because it was ten minutes until closing time. I was rushed, I tell ya! 

So, now I'm in a pickle. Do I keep the navy dress and both the Gap dress and crops, and just deal with the guilt, or do I return the latter two to Gap and feel like I spent a lot, but not nearly as much as I could have?

11 comments:

  1. Girl, you could have spent WAY more on that dress. And if it makes you feel like a million bucks, whats $45? Can't wait to see it on you! And as far as the dress and pants go, I am soooo in love with that printed dress, you have to keep it. And the pants will get so much use as you can pair them with anything! I say suck it up and keep them all! The feeling you get in clothes you love is priceless in my opinion!

    Xo, Amanda

    theamandakathryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring back the crop pants and keep the two dresses. You already have a similar pair of pants, don't you!? I really like the gap dress and I would love to see the blue dress on you too!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress :)

    http://gamesoffashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, first of all I have to acknowledge how awesome it is that the lack of Godiva chocolate made you and your friend shop. I imagined this slow motion moment when you guys discovered it was shut down, started menacingly pumping your fists and then ran into the closest clothes store :)

    About the clothes... well, obviously you should do what is best for you, but I say get the dress. It's not often you feel AMAZING in a dress and I definitely think it's worth just getting that and taking back the other items that are just so-so. I am trying to invest more in fewer, nice pieces of clothing these days so that may be where my advice is coming from :)

    Lastly, I really like the dress you're wearing! It looks super cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Question - do you think you would wear the Limited dress very often? It is very pretty, and I mean, if it is amazingly awesome on you, that's worth extra! I just don't know where I would wear that type of dress. Maybe to a wedding, or on an anniversary date? I also have been wondering about the hi-lo trend and if "we" still like that, or if it is "so 2012!"

    I really love the Gap dress, too!

    I have to add - I'm glad I'm not the only person who has sort of crazy guilt about spending that much on something. I will very rarely spend more than $20 on a single item of clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I think you just want to think about how much you'd get out of those items. If you can think of several different ways you could style them, then keep them all. Also, do you think you would have still felt badly about the purchases if they had been spread out and not all at once? It seems like a lot of money all at once, but if they were good purchases that means you've bought some items that you really like, and should hold onto!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always the same way when I go to the mall. I go to return and end up spending more than the return. This dress looks very pretty and it looks amazing on you - I would say keep it. It's a dress you can dress up or down with accessories. Ohhh...that gap dress print is os pretty too. Good luck deciding!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlfie.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the navy dress and the Gap floral dress. The crops don't seem like anything special, so you should return those. You have to keep the navy dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look great! Love your beautiful dress! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. No matter what you do KEEP THE DRESS. I'd say for less than 100 bucks you should keep all 3 pieces: Dress from The Limited, Shorts & Crops from Gap. And BTW Your Outfit is Stunning, that is a nice dress. You should have submitted it to my Current Birthday Blog Post. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate, you look so super cute in that dress, I would have used a necklace or belt to spice it up though :-)

    www.fleurani.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...