Saturday, January 12, 2013

Sparkles After the Holiday Season: Yay or Nay?

The other day when I went to the mall, I couldn't help but notice what was a common trend on the clearance racks: sparkles and sequins. I didn't think anything of this at first. Actually, I thought that there were some great deals, and that I should take advantage of them. Then I wondered whether I would even wear them before next Thanksgiving. After all, sparkles and sequins are perfect for the holiday season (i.e., day after Thanksgiving through New Years' day). But what about after we ring in the new year?

Can you wear sparkles and sequins after the holiday season?

Of course you can, in the same way that you can wear flannel all year-- but to me, flannel is really a cold/winter style, in the same way that open-toe shoes are a warm/summer style. And the point is, I could wear flannel in the spring, but I don't. I could wear sandals in the winter, but I don't. I could wear sparkles and sequins in the spring, and/but.... {fill in the blank for me!}

Do sparkles and sequins have a particular season to which they belong? Do you sport sequins and/or sparkles after January 1st? And if you do, how do you wear it (e.g., full on sequin skirt or subtle sparkle detail)? 



{source}

Right now, I think you could wear something like this year-round...


But save this for the holiday season....


What do you think?

11 comments:

  1. I think it is all in how you style it! I have a sparkly gold skirt that I wear year-round, but there are definitely some sequined items I have seen on clearance recently that I wouldn't wear except for in December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I was just wondering what it is that makes something an "only in December" as opposed to a "year-round"! Any ideas?

      Delete
  2. i love sequins and sparkles! but after the holidays i think it's better to wear them in small doses. like the striped cardigan for example. or even a clutch or a sparkly scarf etc. also the first picture is Rachel from Pink Peonies I'm pretty sure.. so maybe you could change the link back to her instead of the tumblr? xx | natalia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it depends on your personal taste. I don't like sequins for day at all, I think they generally look tacky, so I agree with you on the all-over sequin sweaters; I can't think of an occasion to wear that at this point. But I saw some sequined (small sequins, in wavy lines) semi-sheer tops at several stores at the mall this week that were clearly spring colors- coral orange, mint green. The metallic stripes like the one you have above look seasonless to me. You don't have this pictured, but something with a really subtle shine, such as a sweater with metallic threads woven through it, I think could also work any time it's weather appropriate.

    I actually really like that metallic stripey sweater. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely hear what you're saying-- when I asked my friend about this, she said that a sequin skirt or a sequin sweater out of the holiday season is very tacky. But then I realized that I had no idea what it really means for something to be tacky. How would you explain tacky-ness?

      Delete
  4. I think you can wear it all year long! Why not?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure you can wear it all year, but would it look weird? It makes me think of wearing a fur vest in the summer-- sure you can do it, but it seems odd. I just wonder whether we all think that there are some season-specific items (e.g., flannel for winter, sandals for summer), and if we do, are sequins also season-specific?

      Delete
  5. I wear it all year long, just not in such big dimensions (like pants or jacket). Some detail or even some cardigan can be wearable if you style it right. :)
    Would you like to follow each other? Follow me and I'll be happy to follow you back. :)
    http://jonnessa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say YES on the sparkles as long as they are subtle. That first inspiration photo has a great outfit. And what gorgeous pieces from my favorite store The Limited. Had I been in US, I would have picked them up at the store, for sure. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say sparkles all year round!! As long as you style them with classic pieces and don't overdo it, I think you can rock them all year round!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would say sequins, only for holiday, but sparkle is ok all the time.

    xo Rach
    Rach.E.Cakes – A Life and Style Blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...