Sunday, January 20, 2013

Dark Hues for a Bright Day

When I woke up this morning, the sun was shining, and the day looked like it was going to be a beautiful one. Naturally, I opted to wear dark colors. [Actually, I was going to church and wanted to draw as little attention to myself as possible. For some reason, I thought, "Bright colors draw attention, therefore dark colors won't."]

Occasion: Church
Top & Jeans: The Limited
Boots: via Payless

I'm not sure what to make of this outfit. I've been confused lately as to whether one can wear black with dark denim. There's an idea floating lately around that navy and black match... I cringe at this thought, because I was raised that you should never wear the two together. Now, I wonder whether such a standard is timeless. What do you think? Can my outfit stand alone like this, or does it need color?

Necklace: via Amazon
Belt: Forever 21

I also tried it later with a bubble necklace and belt. Which version do you like more? And if you are not a fan of either look, what would you do differently?

10 comments:

  1. I haven't been here in such a long time! Sorry for this! Everything looks so differnt :) I like the new style a lot! More clear and classic!
    Your outfit is also nice. I would probably wear it without the necklace:)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the version without the necklace. I just don't think the bright bubbles and the light belt are cohesive with the rest of the outfit. In the first image, the dark tonal palette brings the attention to your face and your silhouette as a whole, making you look longer and slimmer than the second, where the eye just kind of stops at the necklace somewhere. You said for church you don't want to grab attention, so I'd say skip the statement jewelry and go with a small pendant near your face(I think the length is more of an issue than the color). If you used a smaller necklace, you could repeat whatever color you used in the bag or bracelets or a large stone ring. I don't know if I'm qualified to give all this fashion advice. My aesthetic is a little peculiar after all; I even like the black and indigo together. =) The black and blue fashion rules only apply to matching suits and shoes and really professional settings anyway (I think). I might not wear, say, a navy blazer with a black skirt. But dark denim jeans and a black-print top- looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it with the belt, but without the necklace. And I looove your bangs! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the ladies above. I think this would look great with a belt but without the necklace. I love the pattern on that shirt and it fits you so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it with the necklace! It adds a level of interest to your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely prefer the necklace and belt version! It just adds a little extra interest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kate,

    Definitely with the necklace!!!!

    Also, I'm a new follower and I like your blog so I tagged/nominated you for the Liebster Award!

    Please check out my Liebster Award post for the details: http://moysfashionlife.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award-nomination.html

    Hope you participate! Have an awesome day!

    xo, Moy
    moysfashionlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...