Thursday, January 31, 2013

Back to Basics

Sometimes you just have to do what feels good. Even if it is boring.


Occasion: Teaching, Attending Class
Shirt: The Limited (c/o Mom)
Cardigan: Old Navy
Pants & Belt: The Limited
Shoes: Target

I'm a boring person. Ask my husband. I don't have many hobbies or interests, and I'm content doing little to next to nothing. My simplicity extends to my wardrobe, too. I'm content wearing an outfit like the one above. Is it blog-worthy? Yes. Because my blog isn't about showing off the latest trends, it's about keeping it real ... and not wearing jeans and a t-shirt everyday.

[Therapy Session 2 continued below]
Since publishing my last post, I've been thinking. I came to the conclusion that this blog spun out of control, developing into something that I had never imagined it would turn into. (By my blog, I probably just mean me.)  Narcissism filled the air, and I put fashion about all else. I became preoccupied with my appearance, as well as the appearance of others. I made judgments based on what people were wearing; "She's wearing a fur vest? Over a sequin top? And three bubble necklaces at once? She must be a nutbasket..." [two minutes later] "Three bubble necklaces at once? Genius. I've got to try that."

I disliked a great deal of what I saw on fashion blogs, but found myself trying to replicate the looks later. In the mean time, I'd look at my blog, and feel like my black pants and coral sweater were pitiful. It's like going to school for show-and-tell and every girl is showing off her American Girl Doll, and then it's your turn and you just look down at your Beanie Baby (of which you only have one). All of a sudden that Beanie Baby that you begged your parents for for weeks (maybe even months) seems like nothing worth showing off. You put it away and tell the teacher you forgot to bring something for show and tell. (And start a plan for how you're going to convince your parents to get you an American Girl Doll.)

I'm not saying that blogging is show-and-tell time for adult women... but sometimes it feels like that. Girl 1 confirms on a daily basis that she owns every item from J. Crew's Spring Collection. We begin to wonder whether she is insanely rich, or whether she just buys clothes for her blog and then turns around and returns them. Girl 2 says she doesn't like (and Girl 3 says she can't afford) J. Crew, but we can't recall the last time they repeated an item of their own. And is it just me, or have you noticed that every single post of Girl 4 includes a direct link to a product she is wearing (read: recently purchased). Don't forget about Girl 5 who only thrifts; she just spent $3.50... on her entire outfit. (But we have the sneaking suspicion that she spends $100 at the thrift store every month.)

I can only speculate as to why each of the aforementioned girls behave as they do, but let's not focus on them. Let's focus on ourselves. I'm going to focus on going back to basics, and figuring out what my style really is. How am I going to figure out what I actually like? I'll let you know when I figure it out. 

Until then, thank you for your comments. It really is comforting to know that I'm not the only one who goes through this, and it's especially valuable and helpful to know how you have made it through such times.

8 comments:

  1. Well, I just love this. I think your boring outfit is awesome, because it is something I could really see myself wearing (maybe because I have that cardigan, too). I do like some of the crazier fashion blogs, but honestly, I prefer ones like yours. Stay true to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That isn't boring! It's not over-the-top, but if I passed you in the hall I would think you were a chic, put-together lady. That's something not everyone knows how to do, but that's what most people who are reading fashion blogs want to do.

    You've got your own approach to blogging, and that's a good thing. I like people who are real and aren't just blogging to please their sponsors.

    Emily
    www.fashionedanddesigned.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your outfit is definitely not boring. It's you and it's real and that's all that matters. Plus it has polka dots, how can those be boring? I am glad you have a good approach about your blog and which direction you want to take it. Keep up the good work! P.S. I am wearing the same sweater today :) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the entire ensemble.. pleasant appropriate without being boring at all, dear!! :D

    Click me for MY NEW BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the polka dot cardi and purple is a very pretty color on you. :)
    www.shannonheartsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this outfit! I don't think it's boring. The purple and polka dots are super feminine and classic. It's a perfect, stylish work look.

    Emily
    http://a-devine-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am having one of those weeks, just plain and simple and getting back to the basics! love your look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not boring AT ALL! I have the same dot cardigan and I totally love it. Nothing is boring if polka dots are involved. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...