Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Twelve Days of Thanksgiving

[OOTD posts will resume tomorrow.]

I'm going to go on a rant here. I like the Christmas season, I really do. However, I believe that the Christmas season does not begin until the day after Thanksgiving (but if I had my way, it wouldn't begin until December 1st). So, when I go to stores and see the Christmas decorations and hear the Christmas music over the speakers, I get annoyed. Especially when we've got more than one month to go. Sure, Target can put decorations and whatnot in the seasonal section, but that should be it. 

"Kate, why do you get so worked up by all of this?" 

I believe that when the focus is on Christmas, people lose sight of Thanksgiving and the value of the holiday. To me, Thanksgiving isn't just a time for turkey and football. It's a time for family and friends. It's a time to express sincere thankfulness, and to be genuinely gracious. I honestly believe that some holidays (like Thanksgiving and Valentine's Day) should really be celebrated year-round, in the sense that we should think about the things we are thankful for, and be thankful for them, and we should dote on our loved ones year-round. We shouldn't just be negligent the rest of the year and make up for it on that one day.

I believe that when we are surrounded by Christmas decor and are constantly being reminded of Black Friday, consumerism is at its worst. It has trampled over the spirit of the season, and for what? Getting the latest and "greatest" Apple product? Feeling undue stress trying to find that perfect gift for him, and getting the obligatory gift for her?

I believe that you really have to be the change you wish to see in the world. I wish that we would think more about Thanksgiving, and put Christmas aside until December. Thanksgiving isn't just a holiday, it's a state of mind. So, in an effort to practice what I preach, I present you with an original series: the twelve days of Thanksgiving.

I am thankful for freedom of expression.

I am thankful that we live in a country where we can express ourselves in almost any way we want. We can express ourselves through our hobbies, through our words, through our clothes. I am particularly thankful that I have a job that allows me endless opportunity to take advantage of this. I can read a piece of text, and respond with no restrictions. I can criticize a philosopher for grounding his entire argument on intuitions, or I can praise another for taking an innovative approach to what may seem entirely meaningless or arbitrary to those outside of the realm of philosophy. While doing this, I can dress business-casual one day, and punk chic the next. I can don the latest trends, or put together an incredibly eclectic outfit. I am also thankful for the same freedom on my blog, and in the blogging community.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this was such a great post! <3
    I have to admit that I do agree with you, even though we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Finland! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN, girl! As much as I loooove Christmas (and, oh, do I!) we can't forget about Thanksgiving!! Poor Thanksgiving, always getting overlooked :( Oh, well. We will not let it, right? Right. Here's to not losing sight of the spirit of Thanksgiving :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...