Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My First Time Wearing Shorts and Tights

I'm not claiming to have come across some really big fashion secret. I've just found a way to expand my closet and wear something other than jeans. 






Occasion: Attending class
Sweater: Old Navy - borrowed from husband
Necklace & Belt: The Limited
Shorts: Apt. 9 c/o Kohl's
Tights: Target
Flats: Target
I saw these shorts last weekend on the clearance rack at Kohl's. I was unsure about them, since they are actually sparkly (I tried to include an up close photo so you could see), and it seems that sparkly shorts are just for the winter. It will be interesting to see if and how I end up wearing these in the summer. Anyway, once I did a price check and discovered that they were cheaper than marked, and remembered that I had a 15% coupon, I thought that these shorts were worth the $7.48. Immediately I knew I wanted to wear them with tights.

The problem was what to wear on top. Since it was only supposed to be 30 degrees today, I opted for something warm on top. I'm not sure why I chose black, but I did. And for the second day in a row, I wound up wearing a men's sweater. 

I'm pleased with myself that I tried something new, but I'm not happy with how it turned out. I think I should have done a different color top, or worn a colorful scarf instead of the necklace. I tried on a larger statement necklace, but I didn't like the way it all looked together. What do you think? Be brutally honest. What should have I done different?

Would you wear an outfit like this? What do you like and dislike about it? Do you wear shorts and tights? How do you style them?

12 comments:

  1. I always want to try shorts and tights, but I've never been brave enough. I actually like the way your outfit looks! And I am going to have to start shopping in the men's section at Old Navy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, you did it :)
    And it looks good!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wear more time because you look great babe!
    Xxx


    Carolina

    www.the-world-c.blogspot.com + GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one thing that I have not tried, but I think it's due to not having the right type of shorts. These shorts are perfect for wearing with tights and I like the all black paired with them. I think you did a great job! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. I havent tried this yet either.. but it looks great on you!

    xo Rach
    rachiecakes-rachael.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great outfit! You can definitely pull that off :)

    Elise @ Sunday Charm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! nice blog! im now following you!
    please follow me back :)

    http://are-you-gonna-be-my-girl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely look! I have never worn shorts and tights before but this looks great on you! Love the shorts!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wear shorts and tights a lot in the winter! I've found that it works best for me if I wear tights and shorts that are a really similar color. I don't know why - I just like it better. I think it's awesome that you stepped outside your comfort zone and gave it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look great! I love shorts and tights but always have trouble with the pairings too. I agree that it would have been good with a scarf that could have brought in a little lighter colors to balance out the lighter shorts. Or, this with heels and a chunky necklace for night would be great. A girl in my office actually wears her shorts to work with a blouse and blazer and it looks great!Like Ashley said, I think its easier to wear darker tights with darker shorts. Overall though, you really do look great! :)

    -Tiffany
    http://stylesidebar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it looks great! Perhaps black boots would work with the black sweater for a bit more balance? Definitely try it with a brighter or neutral sweater. If you are looking for styling ideas you might check out looks with a khaki skirt on pinterest or polyvore then just sub in your cute shorts. I think they would look gorgeous with a red blouse under a khaki or gold vest/cardi with chocolate tights and boots/booties.
    Can't wait to see how else you style them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look awesome in that outfit. Hopefully it's not your last time in shorts & tights. I love those tights on you

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...