Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Series of Thanks: Day 11

I am thankful for pleasant surprises. Amidst all the hustle and bustle, I had a student ask me to write her a letter of recommendation. The first thought that crossed my mind: "Seriously?!" [I am so exhausted and couldn't imagine being able to squeeze that letter in this week.] But of course I accepted, and today, as a token of her appreciation, she gave me the cutest mug ever.

source
Isn't that so adorable? I love animals, and I get a kick out of stuff like this.


I'm linking up with The Pleated Poppy, Because Shanna Said So, and Rolled up Pretty today!
Here's my outfit of the day:


Occasion: Proctoring an exam
Top, Cardigan, Jeans
: The Limited
Flats: Target
Yeah, that's right, my top is lace and peplum, with a touch of shimmer and shine. I was concerned when I bought it that it was too fancy and formal. I even asked a sales associate how to style it, and she said "Wear it with black pants." Gee. Thanks. (My trouser jeans are dark dark blue, not black, btw). 

Speaking of sales associates being helpful, can I speak my piece? Recently I went to the Gap in search of a particular item I had seen over Black Friday (but decided to pass on). I couldn't find it, so when a sales associate asked if I need help, I began to describe the product.


Me:  It was like a crewneck sweater, but had a slight scoop neck. 
Her: Oh, do you mean a cowlneck?
Me: No... I mean it reminded me like something from the 80s or 90s-- like it could be an off the shoulder top. It may have been fleece lined, but it was casual.
Her: She points to a synthetic hoodie. Like this? 
Me: Umm... same color. 
Her: Hmm... I'm not sure. 
She walks to a rack of zip-up hoodies.
Her: Is this it? 
Me: No. (At this point I was going to tell her to forget it.) No zips, no hoods. It was like a sweatshirt; it was solid colored, and was thicker than the sweaters in the front of the store. 
Her: Was it purple?
Me: Yes! I think it came in different colors, but it was the same color as the one you pointed to earlier. 
Her: Ohhh! Walks to a rack of longsleeve t-shirts and points to a much darker purple. This is what you had in mind, right?
Me: No. Um. I mean I guess I'll keep looking.
Her: I don't think we have it in stock anymore. 
Me: Okay, thanks anyway. [Leave store.]

By that time, even if she had found it, I would have left anyway. On principle, I won't buy something if a sales associate is rude or unhelpful. I truly believe that she was just pointing to random items in one section of the store, and wasn't even listening to me.

Was I being too demanding? Have you been frustrated by any sales associates lately? How do you handle it?

20 comments:

  1. I think customer service, and just being polite and helpful, is almost a lost art form these days. A lot of people in general don't care.

    On a happier note, your lace/peplum/shiny top is absolutely adorable! It would look great paired with a pair of colored denim or a pencil skirt. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute top! love the pink too!
    Very pretty. Love this outfit. Great bag!

    Xo Amy,

    http://stylechocolatechip.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute of your student! And it remains me of a former prof I had who wrote soooo many letters of recommondation for me... I should send her a post card :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanksgiving is always my favorite time of the year even though I'm not American. It's the shopping season, that is!

    BLOG | SHOP | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute blouse. Looks nice with the bright cardi. =) I have a similar lace top (same color too) from The Limited. Yours must be a newer version, I prefer yours more. You are the only other girl I know who has just as much The Limited stuff (if not more) than I do. That is my favorite store.

    Customer Service during the Holidays is sort of lost, in Retail especially. Sad. =(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving what the Limited has going on lately! That top is a great mix of trends...I so love the lace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your shiny top and your series of 'being thankful' posts!
    So sorry to hear about that bad shopping experience! Its so frustrating when you try to locate a certain thing and you get no constructive help in that regard!
    Love
    Juneli from Fashionably Yours

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your top!
    Looks great.

    I find Customer Service is lacking in so many ways. It is too bad because great customer service goes a long way.

    http://pjmscloset.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the outfit!
    Honestly, you are just perfect!

    >>> milna89.blogspot.com <<<

    ReplyDelete
  10. very cute outfit - i really like that top!! thank you also for visiting my blog!

    xox P

    phiphi's blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got off the phone with a RUDE retail person....UGH!!! Stop being so grumpy, will ya? Drives me nuts!!! You look super cute and love that little mug! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really love your top ^^ you look so pretty :)

    Caroline
    http://missoline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE that top! it looks great with the pink as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. very cute top!! And I usually just don't talk to any sales people.......if I do your senario is usually what happens to me too hahaha.

    And about the combat boots: I'm sure you will find a way to incorporate them into your look! I bought them on an impulse one day

    xoxo Jayne from http://somuchfashionsolittlespace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. lacy, shiny, shimmery, peplumy top? sign me up please! i love that you dressed it down [because i'm sure if you walked into that classroom having paired that with a bright red pencil skirt and killer oxblood pumps no one would have finished that exam!].

    thanks for stopping by thesecondbestblog.com! i'm really looking forward to more of your posts!

    -natalie-

    ReplyDelete
  16. shut up, i love that top. It looks beautiful on you - Is it a new top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I got it last month (on clearance) at The Limited-- I can't find it online, but it might be in select stores!

      Delete
  17. Great top, now following you too!
    Ginny
    mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh peplum! That's a winner in my book!

    Abi
    http://thebelatedbloomer.blogspot.com
    twitter: @BelatedBloomer

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great outfit, I love the fox mug too - its adorable :)


    www.ofbeautyandnothingness.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...