Friday, April 27, 2012

"Mixing Prints": Leopard and Stripes


Occasion: Teaching
Everything: The Limited
leopard flats: Christian Siriano for Payless
[My shirt was tucked in most of the day, btw]
This is about as close as I'll get to mixing prints - stripes (shirt) and leopard (flats). Only rarely have I seen it pulled off successfully, and the times I have, it still seems borderline unprofessional (to teach in). I spend a lot of time wondering whether we have become conditioned to seeing it and so we now see it as acceptable (i.e., brainwash) or whether it really does look good together. Why is it that retail clothing stores (other than J. Crew) have yet to get on the mixing prints bandwagon? Does J. Crew know something the other stores don't know? You doubt me, but I don't come to the table ill-equipped. Check out what's new at Banana Republic, Loft, The Limited, and Old Navy... no mixed prints. [Okay, so the Loft shows one, but it's a really gross outfit.] [I couldn't find Gap's page of pre-made outfits, but I didn't see any instance of print mixing, nor did I see it on Forever 21's website.] 

I'm not trying to sound like a snob. I just don't understand. I plead ignorance. So please enlighten me!

Have you caught on to the mixing prints fad? If so, what is your favorite way to do it? If not, what's stopping you?

1 comment:

  1. I feel like the more I do it the easier it comes to me. I started off slow - b&w stripey tee with a b&w polkadotty cardi. And now I wear my leopard flats with EVERYTHING because in my (warped) brain they're a neutral. I always mix (actual) neutrals in when I do it, though - I see people wearing a striped top with a floral skirt and nothing to kind of "ground" it, and while I like it on them I think I'd look like an idiot escapee from a mental hospital if I tried it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...